Informing Informative Information on Informative Infographics! - and cyberbullying, too.


"Second Chances" by Kit9 Studio

    Well, well, well... Who would've thought I would be back on writing blogposts again? Yet, here we are. Although I certainly wouldn't enjoy writing a blog about every single assignment I do, it's not so bad when done only every once in a while. Okay, enough dilly-dallying. What we have here today is an infographic about cyberbullying. I'll touch on both of those after showing you my masterpiece.


"Understanding Cyberbullying" by Melih Kır

    Basically, infographics are visual representations of information, data, or knowledge designed to present complex information quickly and clearly. It combines text, images, and graphics to communicate a message or tell a story effectively. The one you see above is an informational infographic, and you can find the information about the eight other types of infographics right here.

    For this assignment, we had predetermined topics, so I chose cyberbullying due to the fact that it is not cared for by authorities enough to take any actual precations against it. As for the design, I decided to use a basic template on Piktochart, as it is quite easy to use and gave me no trouble through the production process. The only difficult part for me was coming up with "creative" headlines or titles. It is no secret that I'm not a creative man. As seen on all of my work before, I like simplicity. I don't know when it happened, but at some point in my life somebody killed whatever little creativity I had left in me. Thus, being non-judgemental towards me would be most welcome and appreciated.

    About the usefulness of infographics in the English classroom, they can be used to help students understand complex blocks of information (such as grammar subejcts) by turning them into simple images and short texts. Also, when students are creating the infographics, they combine their writing, thinking and organizing idea abilities in English. This could prove to make learning more fun and help the students feel more confident using English in real-life contexts.

    In short, infographics are simplified versions of complex information or data using visuals and small amounts of texts. I myself created one using Piktochart, which is free and easy to use, about cyberbullying, a topic that's not paid enough attention. As English teachers, we can use infographics to greatly simplify long and complicated subjects. Students can also create their own infographics to sharpen their various skills and use English to create authentic materials.

Additional resources used to create "Understanding Bullying" can be found below:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Not "Black Noise"?

Collaborative Writing

It's joever, guys. 2